Hygienists Want You To Know
1. X-rays are important for proper diagnosis and for us to complete a thorough exam. We take bitewings for cavity detection once a year and we take a panoramic every 3 years. Sometimes patients are concerned about radiation exposure but it is minimal and x-rays are important for proper diagnosis and subsequent treatment. We offer digital x-rays which produce far less radiation than older types of x-rays. We also use a thyroid collar along with the lead apron. Your safety is very important to us!
2. Tongue piercings destroy your teeth. They crack your teeth, cause your gums to recede and can be a source of infection.
3. Fluoride treatments, especially if applied once a year, help to strengthen your teeth and fight against gum inflammation and tooth decay. The fluoride treatments also help with sensitivity of your teeth.
4. Flossing daily, brushing twice a day and rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash are the best ways to have a healthy mouth and beautiful smile.
5. Sensitivity of teeth is often caused by receding gums due to brushing too hard or “back and forth” brushing. Use desensitizing toothpaste twice a day in place of your regular toothpaste for at least 6 weeks. This should help. If the cold or hot sensitivity causes lingering pain or keeps you up during the night, come in to visit Dr. Silberman for an exam. There may be an infection.
6. Upper teeth roots are located near your sinus cavity. If you are having sinus pain, pressure or congestion, your upper teeth may present with symptoms like a toothache. Try Sudafed or Claritin to see if that helps the tooth pain. We are happy to give you an exam to help with diagnosis if this does not help.
7. Don’t hesitate to call us with any concerns or questions.